Teaching Violence in the Workplace
Create a teaching PowerPoint presentation that addresses each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with at least three (3) sources using APA citations throughout your presentation. Make sure to cite the sources using the APA writing style for the presentation. Include a slide for your references at the end. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
This week you are to create a PowerPoint as if you are teaching this information to your colleagues.
- Guns in the Workplace: prepare for an active shooter (what is the protocol and preparations your workplace has taken – if none have been developed describe what should be taken). What is the responsibility as a nurse caring for patients in an active shooter scenario?
- Bullying in Nursing: Bullying in the nursing workforce has become an increasing topic of concern. Research this topic and describe reasons why bullying is a problem in nursing. Provide suggestions for a new nurse who is being bullied by coworkers. What is your responsibility if you see a fellow nurse being bullied?
- Title Slide (1 slide)
- Objective Slide (1 slide)
- Preparing for an active shooter (2-3 slides)
- Responsibility for patients in an active shooter scenario? (1-2 slides).
- Why bullying is a problem in nursing (2-3 slides)
- Suggestions for a new nurse being bullied (2-3 slides)
- Your responsibility (1-2 slides)
- References (1 slide)
Length: 11-16 slides
Structure: Include a title slide, objective slide, content slides, reference slide in APA format.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of three (3) scholarly sources are required for this assignment.
Rubric: This assignment uses a rubric for scoring. Please review it as part of your assignment preparation and again prior to submission to ensure you have addressed its criteria at the highest level.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft PPT document (.pptx) or a PDF document (.pdf)
File name: Name your saved file according to your first initial, last name, and the assignment number (for example, “RHall Assignment 1.docx”)
Expert Solution Preview
In the healthcare industry, violence in the workplace has become a growing concern. Healthcare professionals, including nurses, are at a higher risk of experiencing workplace violence due to the nature of their work. It is important for healthcare professionals to be prepared for such incidences and to have protocols and preparations in place. Additionally, bullying in the nursing workforce is also becoming an increasing topic of concern. As medical professors, it is our responsibility to educate our students about these issues and provide them with the necessary knowledge and skills to handle these situations. In this PowerPoint presentation, we will address the protocol and preparations for an active shooter scenario in the workplace as well as how to handle bullying in nursing.
Slide 1: Title Slide
Slide 2: Objective Slide
Guns in the Workplace:
Slide 3: Preparing for an Active Shooter
– What is an active shooter?
– What are the possible warning signs?
– What are the workplace protocol and preparations for an active shooter?
– What should employees do in the event of an active shooter?
Slide 4: Responsibility for Patients in an Active Shooter Scenario
– What is the responsibility of a nurse caring for patients in an active shooter scenario?
– What are the possible risks for patients and healthcare professionals in such an event?
– How can nurses ensure safety for themselves and their patients during an active shooter scenario?
Bullying in Nursing:
Slide 5: Why Bullying is a Problem in Nursing
– What is bullying and its effects on nurses?
– Why is bullying a problem in nursing?
– What are the possible reasons for bullying in nursing?
Slide 6: Suggestions for a New Nurse being Bullied
– What can a new nurse do if they are being bullied by colleagues?
– How can new nurses protect themselves from being bullied?
– Who should they reach out to for support?
Slide 7: Your Responsibility
– As a healthcare professional, what is your responsibility if you see a fellow nurse being bullied?
– What should you do to handle the situation?
– What is the importance of reporting bullying in the workplace?
Slide 8: References Slide
– APA citations for all sources used in the presentation.
In conclusion, it is important for healthcare professionals to be aware of workplace violence and bullying in nursing. By educating ourselves and our students, we can ensure a safe and supportive workplace environment. Protocols and preparations for an active shooter scenario can help mitigate the risks of such events, and handling bullying in nursing with care and compassion can improve workplace morale and prevent long-term negative effects.
#Teaching #Violence #Workplace #Create #teaching #PowerPoint