Dashboards are data visualizations that healthcare organizations use to measure and analyze data. The Joint Commission (E-dition) sets standards for healthcare quality and safety. One set of standards The Joint Commission created is the National Patient Safety Goals (NPSG), which are designed for different facilities and are critical to maintain accreditation. In this assignment, you will explore the NPSG standards related to patient identification, which states facilities will use at least two patient identifiers before procedures.
Please note: The Joint Commission standards you have access to are the standards for acute care facilities and not long-term care. In this , the standards for patient identification are the same for acute care and long-term care facilities.
Examine the dashboard for ABC Residential Center, which is a long-term care center. Analyze the facility metrics against the national benchmarks and address the following areas. Provide at least two scholarly sources to support your claims.
A text-only version is available: Module Three Short Paper Graphic Text-Only Version Word Document
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Insights from dashboards: Describe how the data in the dashboard could be used by ABC Residential Center to find insights related to their operations or quality of care.
- Dashboard techniques: Discuss what visualization techniques (such as using charts and graphs; color coding the data red, yellow, and green; and combining multiple sets of data into one graph) were used by the dashboard to provide a quick, visual way to understand the data presented, and if there are additional techniques you would recommend for the dashboard to use to make the data easier and quicker to understand.
- Determining benchmarks: Determine a benchmark for patient identification for ABC (you should review the NPSG standards).
- Defend selection: Provide a rationale for your selection of a benchmark.
- If you chose a benchmark less than 100%, how would you defend that benchmark to the public?
- Meeting the benchmark: Analyze the data in the dashboard to determine if ABC is meeting the benchmark.
- Implications: Discuss the implications of not meeting the benchmark.
- Justify creating a quality improvement initiative: Justify the creation of a quality improvement initiative using the dashboard and NPSG standards if ABC is not meeting the benchmark (you don’t need to create the quality improvement initiative, rather you need to justify the need for one to meet the benchmark if it is not being met)