Daniel Goleman, a psychologist, was the first to popularize the trait emotional intelligence, sometimes referred to as EI. Emotional intelligence is a person’s capacity to be aware of her or his emotions and feelings towards others to influence their thinking and actions. The four components of EI are:
- Self-awareness: This is your ability to read your own emotions accurately to know how your actions or lack thereof affect others.
- Self-management: This is your ability to control or regulate your emotions and act with integrity.
- Social-awareness: Gives you the ability to understand the needs of others and show empathy towards them.
- Relationship management: this is your ability to communicate clearly and convincingly, reduce conflict and build strong bonds.
Step 2 – Post a Response
Respond to the following.
- How has your emotional intelligence, or lack of emotional intelligence, positively or negatively impacted your professional or personal relationships?
- Choose one of the components of EI and explain how it contributes to job satisfaction.
Step 3 – Respond to a Peer
Read a post by one of your peers and respond, making sure to extend the conversation by asking questions, offering rich ideas, or sharing personal connections.