Criteria for answers:
1) Direct reference to the chapter’s laws/regulations (Employment Laws, Case Law, Statutes)
2) Direct reference to the chapter’s concepts (discrimination, ethics, social responsibility)
3) Quotes from the text.
4) Personal opinions based on an analysis of the above. 5) Each answer should be a paragraph (or a minimum of 5-7 sentences long)
1. Read this week’s ethical dilemma. What would you do?
2. What are the components of direct financial compensation?
3. What are some of the ‘influences’ on direct financial compensation?
4. Discuss legislation which impacted compensation.
5. Discuss salary compression. How can this be avoided?
6. Do you think a two-tier wage system is a good idea? Why or why not?
7. What are some common mistakes made under FLSA?
8. Why is it important to remember that you are evaluating the “position” not the person when conducting a job evaluation?
9. “Some firms face a serious problem when a highly competent and effective professional feels compelled to become a manager for more pay and is unable to perform well in this role.”
10. Describe the different types of executive compensation.